Walnut Sweet Potato Biscuits with Mushroom Gravy
Biscuits and gravy is a slightly guilty pleasure of mine, probably because my parents wouldn’t let me eat the dish growing up. The white, clumpy, greasy, unidentifiable meaty chunkiness that is traditional Southern biscuits and gravy never darkened the doors of my childhood home.
Now there’s a morbid fascination with it that I can’t shake, so today I took the concept out for a thoroughly grown-up spin: rich, nutty, sweet potato biscuits with a hearty, herb-y gravy on top, all piping hot with lots of fresh black pepper. Would you be into that?
So here’s a gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, plant-forward version! These walnut sweet potato biscuits are just dense enough to be ideal as a pairing for hot, savory gravy. If I wanted to make this a bit more substantial, I’d put a patty made of sausage meat, lamb or bison in between two biscuits and cover that with gravy. (This sounds like too delicious of a concept to go untested. Somebody give it a go and report back soon!) Or enjoy these walnut sweet potato biscuits as is with their mushroom gravy for breakfast, lunch, dinner or at any time.Print
Walnut Sweet Potato Biscuits with Mushroom Gravy
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 50 min
- Yield: 2–4 servings 1x
- 2 cups walnuts
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp fresh thyme leaves
- ¾ cup cooked sweet potato, mashed
- 1 egg
- 2 cups cooked cauliflower
- ½ tsp fish sauce
- 4 tsp coconut oil, divided
- ¼ tsp salt, or to taste
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 lb sliced or torn mushrooms
- Fresh thyme
- Black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- To make the biscuits, grind the walnuts, salt, pepper, and baking soda in a food processor until a coarse meal forms. Stir in the thyme leaves, egg, and sweet potato, and then pulse again until thoroughly combined.
- Shape into discs approximately ½ inch thick and 3 inches in diameter. Bake on the lined baking sheet in the preheated oven for approximately 30 minutes or until browned and firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and cool slightly.
- While the biscuits bake, make the gravy by combining the cooked cauliflower, fish sauce, 2 teaspoons of coconut oil, salt, and coconut milk in a food processor and puree until smooth. Set aside.
- Saute the mushrooms: heat 2 teaspoons of coconut oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are soft and quite brown. Transfer the cauliflower mixture into the pan, combine with the mushrooms. Once hot, remove from the heat.
- Place a scoop of the mushroom mixture on a plate and top with a warm biscuit or two. Garnish with thyme leaves and black pepper.
Wow, this looks so enticing! I have all the ingredients too. 🙂
The universe is telling you to make it, then. 😉
Meg @ Meg the RHN
girl these sound SO AMAZING!
Tina @ Oh Snap! Let's Eat!
Oh wow this looks amazing!
Angela Privin at Paleo Kitchen Lab
The biscuits look beyond amazing but I think the gravy is breeeliant because it uses cauliflower!! I am sure it is just beyond. Will HAVE to try this.
Grok GrubAngela Privin at Paleo Kitchen Lab
Haha, the idea came from searching around for something white (like the gravy in the regular version). The cauliflower turned out great!
Emily @ Recipes to Nourish
Wow this sounds amazing! I am a sucker for mushroom gravy and those biscuits, wow, just wow.
Wish I could eat sweet potatoes!
Grok Grublinda spiker
How do you feel about plantains? Just had a thought this might work with them as a sub for the sweet potatoes!
Nora (A Clean Bake)
This is a fantastic idea! I basically love (and deeply miss) anything in the biscuit family – with or without gravy. But your preparation is much more up my alley in its wholesome-ness (Is that a word? I guess it is now).
Grok GrubNora (A Clean Bake)
If it’s not, it should be! 🙂
Chloe @ How We Flourish
This looks so delicious. Wow. Thank you for sharing!
Mmmm…these look great. My kids are really enjoying sweet potatoes right now so we’ll have to try them.
Rachael Abel @ Love Yourself Green
What a creative biscuits and gravy recipe! I’ve been craving it so bad lately – and kind of talking about it nonstop. Haha. My hubby used to make it all the time before we started being all cray-serious about our health a couple of years ago. 🙂
Grok GrubRachael Abel @ Love Yourself Green
These are suuuuuper non-traditional, but tasty nonetheless!
Grain-Free Weekly Meal Plan and Naturally Free Blends Launch - Real Food Outlaws
[…] Dinner – Walnut Sweet Potato Biscuits with Mushroom Gravy […]
37 Paleo Thanksgiving Recipes - The Sophisticated Caveman
[…] Walnut Sweet Potato Biscuits with Mushroom Gravy – Grok Grub […]
A Complete Paleo Thanksgiving Meny Done For You - Primal Kidz Mag
[…] Walnut Sweet Potato Biscuits with Mushroom Gravy – Grok […]