Trendster Bagels (Vegan, Paleo, Keto)
These bagels will likely irritate bagel purists. ☺️ But this is the Internet, and everything offends somebody, so I’m posting these vegan, paleo, and keto “bagels” with pride.
They’re one of those rare magical unicorn foods that are made with zero animal products, are grain-free and gluten-free, and are low-carb. Have your eyes rolled back into your head yet? Fuel on the fire of so many dietary trends simultaneously. Hence, “trendster” bagels.
Now for some disclaimers:
- No, these do not taste like conventional store-bought bagels. Nothing will be able to come close to that if it’s grain-free and vegan. These are their own thing: dark, dense, nutty, fibrous. Deeeelicious, don’t get me wrong, but different.
- I sprinkled some Trader Joe’s “Everything But The Bagel” seasoning on top for fun and a little more flavor, but it’s totally optional. I also think these would be great with onion powder or garlic powder mixed in. Next time!
- Psyllium husk powder is something you may not already have in your pantry. They have a bulk bin of it at the adorable co-op here in San Francisco, Rainbow Grocery, and it’s pretty widely available in your gourmet grocery stores. It’s also available online, of course.
- These are best eaten with toppings. In addition to the bagel seasoning, I smeared Kite Hill’s vegan cream cheese on top and finished it off with clover sprouts, which was a very tasty combination.
I must admit I also put avocado on top of the Kite Hill almond milk cheese. So, so, so, so GOOD.
I’ve been trying to cut down on my meat consumption that isn’t responsibly sourced (i.e. regenerative agriculture). I haven’t been doing as well as I’d like to be, and am definitely getting tired of eggs since Vital Farms pastured eggs are very conveniently available in my neighborhood and I’ve been relying on them too much (when I don’t want the hassle of sourcing sustainably-farmed beef/pork/chicken). I think these will become a meatless favorite for breakfast and snacks from now on!Print
Trendster Bagels (Vegan, Paleo, Keto)
- 1/3 cup flax meal
- 1 cup psyllium husk powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup almond butter
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 2 cups of water
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a baking/cookie sheet pan (or a doughnut pan), set aside.
- Combine the flaxseed meal, psyllium husk powder, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Add the water to the dry mixture, and mix until all the water has been absorbed. Add the almond butter, and vinegar, and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Form patties by hand that are approximtely 4″ in diameter, and 1/2″ thick. Lay on your baking pan and cut a small circle from the middle of each round. Alternatively, if using a doughnut pan, press the dough uniformly into each cup. Do not overfill; the doughnuts will rise in the oven.
- Bake for around approximately 40 minutes, until firm. Remove from the oven, and allow to cool enough to handle.
- Cut each bagel in half, and serve with your favorite toppings.
This recipe is essentially a rework of the Meat Free Keto’s Vegan Keto Bagel Thins, so go check out that version! The original is made with tahini, but since I often find it is too bitter for my taste, I experimented with almond butter. The baking powder in the original is problematic since it usually includes cornstarch, and I steer clear of corn and other grains. Hope you enjoy this version!
Omg, looks incredible!!!
Fresh Planet FlavorJoni Gomes
🙂 🙂 🙂
Wow! I didn’t know paleo bagels were possible. These are so pretty too. I love all the seeds on top!
Emily Recipes to Nourish
These look so good! I’ve never worked with psyllium husk powder before, and I’m super intrigued. I haven’t had bagels in so many years and can’t wait to give these a try.
Fresh Planet FlavorEmily Recipes to Nourish
This is actually the first time I’ve worked with it! Gives it chewiness, to my understanding.
Wow, those sound super easy. And stuffed with sprouts… yum!
Fresh Planet FlavorRaia Todd
Yep, the sprouts give it lots of freshness and crunch!
I love all those seasonings on top – really makes these paleo legit.
Sorry…I hit enter too fast, lol. What I meant to say is the seasonings make these paleo BAGELS legit. 😉
Fresh Planet FlavorAnya
Haha, I was like “what’s the definition of ‘paleo legit’?” 😀
These look so tasty and nutritious, and I love that they are paleo! I’m definitely going to give these a go!
Fresh Planet FlavorHope
Yep, paleo FTW.