- 2 lbs oxtails
- 2–4 potatoes
- 2–4 carrots
- 5 celery stalks
- 1 onion
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp grated or minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 tsp black pepper, or to taste
- 1 litre beef bone broth
- 3 tbsp avocado oil, macadamia nut oil, or other neutral-tasting oil (with a high smoke point)
- Heat three tablespoons of avocado oil, macadamia nut oil, or other neutral-tasting oil (with a high smoke point) in a large pot over medium-high heat. Working in batches if needed, brown on all sides (approximately 10-15 minutes total). Transfer the browned oxtail to a plate and set aside.
- Roughly chop the potatoes, carrots, celery, and onion. Add to the pot, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent. Mince or press the garlic, and add to the pot along with the thyme, ginger, allspice, salt, and pepper. Stir and cook for half a minute or so until very fragrant.
- Load the browned oxtails into a slow-cooker, then transfer the vegetables from the pot and add them on top. Pour the broth in, then cook for 8-10 hours on low.
- Shred the meat off of the oxtail bone with forks, and serve the stew warm with more fresh thyme.