Let’s be honest, I didn’t get these pistachio waffles onto the table in time for Saturday breakfast. I made them around noon, spending a few leisurely minutes grinding nuts, whisking eggs, melting coconut oil. Then into the waffle-maker they went and out of the waffle-maker they came: thick and dense, a tiny snap of crispness to them, chewy on the inside. I ate a quarter of the first hot waffle, standing up in the kitchen tearing off chunks with my fingers. So good.
The boyfriend ate them later that day: chilled, slathered in coconut yogurt, and topped with cherries. I know I’ve hit a home run when he says things like “I’m so lucky” as he chews, and I feel especially proud of these because the world needs more pistachio waffles. I’ve seen coconut flour waffles, almond flour waffles, pumpkin waffles, banana waffles… but grain-free pistachio waffles? Not so much (although there’s a very interesting ras al hanout pistachio waffles with pomegranate recipe that’s on my list to try grain-free, how could I resist). These are also one of my favorite because they just work. No sticking, no wet center, no burning, no bitterness. Maybe you can tell that the path of waffle experimentation doesn’t always run smoothly? 😉
I may keep this in rotation as my go-to waffle recipe, simply trading in different nuts for the pistachios. Since you grind the meal yourself (for a minute or so, no big deal) you can buy whole nuts and make this more cheaply than other waffle recipes that call for pre-ground flours. Feel free to omit the honey for a totally sweetener-free version, and you can also sub in ghee for the coconut oil to keep this coconut-free! Enjoy hot and plain or with coconut yogurt and cherries as we did, or choose your favorite waffle toppings.
- 1 cup shelled pistachios
- ¾ cup [url href=”https://heyrachelmarion.com/recommends/tapioca-flour/” title=”tapioca flour”]tapioca flour[/url]
- Pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp [url href=”https://heyrachelmarion.com/recommends/coconut-oil/” title=”coconut oil”]coconut oil[/url], melted (plus more for greasing the waffle maker)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 eggs, whisked
- Preheat the [url href=”https://heyrachelmarion.com/recommends/flip-waffle-maker/” title=”Flip Waffle Maker”]waffle-maker[/url] according to product directions. Grease with coconut oil.
- Grind the pistachios in a [url href=”https://heyrachelmarion.com/recommends/food-processor/” title=”food processor”]food processor[/url] into a coarse meal. Transfer to a large mixing bowl, and stir in the tapioca flour and salt.
- Whisk the coconut oil, honey and eggs into the dry ingredients, and then spoon into the preheated waffle-maker. The batter will be very stiff, nudge it gently into each corner of the waffle-maker with a spoon.
- Cook according to product directions until browned on both sides. Serve warm.