- 14 eggs
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp cream of tarter
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp coconut oil, softened, plus more for greasing pan
- 4 links of breakfast sausage
- 1/2 cup diced scallions
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place the raw eggs (unbroken) in a large bowl. Fill the bowl with warm water to raise the temperature of the eggs. Bring water to a rolling boil in a medium pot. Working as quickly as you can, drop six of the pre-warmed eggs into the boiling water. Boil for four and a half minutes.
- While the eggs cook, add 2 cups of ice cubes to cold water. Once the eggs have boiled for 4.5 minutes, spoon them quickly into the ice bath (the cold water keeps the eggs from cooking any more). Tap the eggs lightly against a hard surface on their wider end. Then peel them very carefully under a thin trickle of water (this helps separate the shell from the egg). Do not rip the delicate egg white, or the liquid yolk inside will spill out.
- Once peeled, lay the eggs on a paper towel-lined plate to dry and chill in the refrigerator. To make the muffin dough, slit the casings of the sausage links and add the sausage meat to a skillet over medium heat. Cook, breaking up with a spoon periodically, until browned (approximately 5 minutes). Let cool.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the coconut flour, cream of tarter, baking soda, and salt. Using the tines of a fork, cut the softened coconut oil into the dry ingredients until it’s crumbly. Briefly mix the remaining warmed (raw) eggs into the batter. Add the cooled sausage meat, then transfer the batter to a food processor. Whirl until the batter is broken down into a smooth enough batter to pipe out of a cake frosting tip. Add the diced scallions.
- Grease a 6-cup popover mold with coconut oil, then press 2 tbsp of muffin batter into the bottom of each cup. Make a divot in the batter and press a chilled soft-boiled egg into each. Load a reusable pastry bag (fitted with a ¾” round tip) with the remaining batter. Pipe around and over the chilled, soft-boiled eggs in a circular motion. Bake in the preheated oven for 17 minutes. Remove, let cool for 15 minutes and enjoy.