- 1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp fat or oil (I used duck fat)
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 lb ground beef (I used Belcampo’s organic, pasture-raised beef)
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (I used The New Primal’s Classic BBQ Sauce)
- 1 bag tortilla chips, approximately 5 oz (I used Siete Sea Salt Grain-Free Tortilla Chips)
- 8 oz Monterey Jack cheese, coarsely grated (I used Rumiano Organic Monterey Jack cheese, grass-fed)
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 jalapeño, sliced
- Heat oven to 450°F. In a small bowl, combine red onion, vinegar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and let stand.
- Heat fat in a large skillet on medium. Add the chopped yellow onion, and black pepper, and the rest of the salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in pressed garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add beef and cook, breaking up into small pieces, 5 minutes. Stir in the barbecue sauce and simmer until thickened, 10 to 15 minutes.
- On a rimmed baking sheet, toss chips and half of the cheese. Top with the beef mixture and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Bake until cheese has melted, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Top the nachos with cilantro, diced avocado, sliced jalapeño, and the quick-pickled red onion.