- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 6–8 grass-fed beef ribs, preferably bone-in
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 5–6 carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 lb fingerling potatoes, cut in half
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 cups grass-fed beef bone broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tbsp fresh thyme (or to taste)
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary (or to taste)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Season the short ribs heavily on all sides with salt and pepper.
- Combine the chopped onions, garlic, carrots, and potatoes in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Set aside until needed.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy oven-safe pot with a lid (such as a Dutch oven) over medium-high heat. Sear the short ribs until nice brown color forms on all sides, about 3-4 minutes per side. Add the vegetables and the tomato paste, stir to distribute the paste.
- Add the bone broth until the vegetables and short ribs are almost (but not fully) submerged. Add the bay leaves. Bring to a boil.
- Cover the skillet with the lid cracked to allow steam to escape and transfer to the oven. Cook for 3 hours. Remove from the oven, and stir in the fresh herbs. Taste, adjust seasoning if necessary, and serve hot.