A bacon turmeric quiche may sound bizarre, but if you have access to fresh turmeric then this is what you should be doing with it. I love quiche because it’s dead easy… and how many other dishes can seem effortlessly appropriate at both breakfast and lunch? Enjoy this solo or with a piping hot Americano for breakfast, then serve this with a side of seasonal salad at midday and you’re good to go.
Singing the praises of quiche aside, I’m a huge turmeric fan. Not only does it look a bit like something from outer space (picture ginger root but very orange) it’s got more health benefits than you can shake a stick at.
As far as flavor is concerned, it’s distinctively earthy, bitter, and savory in an indefinable way. It gives curry powder its color and sometimes butter and cheese their color, too! I like to put it on everything, especially sweet treats of the frosty type.
If you can’t find fresh turmeric, substitute 2 tsp of the powdered kind instead. The important thing is to get the color and earthy flavor any way that you can. 🙂
- 1 3-inch piece of fresh turmeric root
- 1 onion
- 6 eggs
- 4-6 piece of bacon
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- In a dry [url href=”https://heyrachelmarion.com/recommends/cast-iron-skillet/” title=”Cast-Iron Skillet”]skillet[/url], fry the bacon (turning once) until cooked. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate, pour off the bacon grease, and reserve.
- Finely dice the onion, or pulse in a [url href=”https://heyrachelmarion.com/recommends/food-processor/” title=”food processor”]food processor[/url] until finely shredded. Sauté the onion until tender, approximately 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool while you prepare the eggs.
- By hand or with a [url href=”https://heyrachelmarion.com/recommends/mixer/” title=”mixer”]mixer[/url], whip the eggs until frothy. Peel the turmeric, then grate into the eggs. Stir in the softened onion.
- Use the reserved bacon fat to grease a [url href=”https://heyrachelmarion.com/recommends/9-5-inch-pie-plate/” title=”9.5 inch pie plate”]9.5″ pie plate[/url]. Then pour the turmeric egg mixture in, and bury the bacon pieces halfway.
- Cook the quiche in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove and let cool slightly, then sprinkle with fresh parsley.
- Serve warm.